Technical support for the implementation of the Bulgarian Qualification Framework
22 January 2022
Donor: Ministry of Education | National Agency for Vocational Education and Training (NAVET)
The overall objective of this technical support project is to make the Bulgarian VET system more relevant to labour market and societal needs by improving the capacity and tools of the Bulgarian Ministry of Education and Science, NAVET and relevant stakeholders to regularly adapt the List of Professions in VET and the State Educational Requirements/Standards.
The Government of Bulgaria has declared VET a priority area until 2021. Recent policy measures and amendments in VET legislation all aim at boosting quality, introduction of work-based learning, adapting VET curricula to labour market needs and developing a system for validating non-formally and informally acquired learning outcomes. The Technical support for the implementation of the Bulgarian National Qualification Framework (“the action”) is embedded in this ongoing VET reform.
Main Challenges addressed by this project
The Ministry of Education, NAVET (National Agency for Vocational Education and Training) and stakeholders expressed the following topics as main challenges to be addressed by this project:
- The outdated list of professions in VET – LPVET
- The narrow scope of professions and related State Educational Standards (qualification profiles) in VET) – SES
- The lack of balance between job specific and transversal skills in the SES.
- Improved methodology and guidelines to (re)define the range and level of professions in the LPVET according to labour market needs;
- Improved methodology and guidelines to (re)define the scope and relevance of (units of) learning outcomes of SER/SES for broader professions according to labour market and societal needs
- LPVET and related SER/SES for two selected sectors are better aligned to labour market and societal needs and better aligned to existing international and national classifications;
- Improved capacity of the Ministry of Education and Science, NAVET, labour market stakeholders, social partners and other relevant stakeholders in developing, improving and updating the LPVET and SER/SES according to labour market and societal needs.
The technical support project is divided into three main components, each of them aiming at offering tangible, efficient and sustainable support within its specific focus area:
Component 1: Reviewing and improving the existing methodology and guidelines for regularly updating the List of Professions for VET.
Component 2: Reviewing and improving the existing methodology and guidelines for developing and updating SER/SES.
Component 3: Exploration of a broader scope for professions’ specialities and their related SER/SES to improve their attractiveness and vertical pathways in VET.
- Advise on improvement of methodology and guidelines for the List of Professions in VET
- Advise on improvement of methodology and guidelines for the State Educational Standards in VET
- Support to the piloting of the new methodologies in two economic sectors
- Tailored capacity building of the Ministry of Education, NAVET and stakeholders through thematic workshops, study visit and peer learning activities with representatives of EU members states
- Validation of the new methodologies and guidelines by the Ministry, NAVET and main stakeholders