Expertise Centre for Vocational Education (ECBO) carries out scientifically sound research in the field of vocational education and the labor market. By making knowledge from research applicable and sharing it, we contribute to the improvement and renewal of (secondary) vocational education and lifelong development. Our expertise: learning through research.
Experts in a variety of research methods and techniques
Together with schools and our external knowledge partners, ECBO clarifies issues within vocational education. To this end, we use a variety of research methods and techniques, both qualitative and quantitative. We are at home in monitoring and evaluation, literature and pilot studies, focus groups and interviews, surveys and analyzing databases (large-scale or otherwise). Above all, by making this research knowledge accessible to and usable by policy administrators, directors, managers and teaching staff, we are contributing to the reform and improvement of vocational education.
We conduct research, monitor, evaluate and publish. Independently and objectively. We also contribute to the improvement and renewal of (secondary) vocational education and lifelong development by making knowledge from research applicable and sharing it.
Our expertise: research themes
Our researchers aspecialize in various themes in the field of vocational education and lifelong development.
- In-, through- and outflow: Students can change their study programme or learning pathway
- Educational organization: improving the quality and securing the education
- Professionalization of teachers/educators: Teachers are crucial in learning processes at school or work
- Basic skills, 21st century skills: Literacy, numeracy and problem-solving skills
- Connection labor market – education: Skills for good functioning on the labor market.
Our goal is to do research with impact:
- Research that leads to individual development and school development.
- Research that supports feedback and dialogue in practice.
- Research that investigates the impact of policies of government or sector organizations.